(This list does not include best brunch spots — that’s another list!)
These are BlogAsheville’s hand-picked Best-of-Asheville new-school breakfast joints, where bacon and eggs meet creative fusion, tofu, tempeh, farm-raised meats and organic veggies.
Looking for a taste of Asheville’s creative and innovative side at your morning meal? Huevos rancheros with free-range eggs, a wild-salmon omelet with a side of sweet-potato home fries, eggs over easy with guacamole and local goat cheese? Fresh-baked scratch-made biscuits with farmer’s market blackberry jam, coffee with turbinado sugar and organic half-and-half?
At these handpicked spots you won’t get called “hon” by the watiress, you CAN order a latte, the food is likely organic or locally sourced, you can substitute tofu bacon or soysage for the farm-raised real thing, and the flavor? Usually off the chain.
- Sunny Point. The undefeated champion of Asheville breakfasts, period. Bar none. Worth the wait. Breakfast all day. West Asheville.
- Early Girl. Another don’t-miss spot. Farm-to-table southern-inspired food. Downtown.
- Mayfel’s. New Orleans-influenced nouveau American. Downtown.
- Over Easy Cafe. Try the lavender french toast. Downtown.
- The Asheville Public: The new kid is off to a great start with pancakes, eggs, bacon, french toast, a salmon omelet and eggs benedict. East West Asheville on Clingman Ave. in the former Silver Dollar location.
- Chorizo: A killer Latin fusion breakfast menu, served daily until 4 p.m.! Eggs, stone-ground grits, beans, tortillas and guacamole. This underrated breakfast spot is downtown in the Grove Arcade.
- Rise ‘n’ Shine. Omelets and creative pancakes. North Asheville next to The Hop on Merrimon.
- The Green Sage. Coffee shop with a good menu, including omelets, biscuits and eggs. Breakfast all day. Downtown on Broadway.
- Homegrown (Sun-Fri only). Traditional southern food with an Asheville twist. North Asheville/Merrimon Ave.
- Clingman Avenue Cafe. Breakfast sandwiches and bagels. River Arts District
- Tod’s Tasties: Don’t forget this hipster hangout serves b’fast ALL DAY. Do NOT let hipsters have all the fun. A favorite hangout for Band of Horses during their Asheville recording sessions. Breakfast bowls, breakfast sandwiches and more. Montford.
What’d we miss? Leave a comment!